Motor City Muralism
|When:||Back to Calendar » May 12, 2012 @ 3:15 am - 4:15 am|
|Where:||Motor City Muralism
Detroit Institute of Arts
Wayne State University,Merrill-Palmer Institute,Palmer Institute,5200 Woodward Ave,Detroit,MI 48202
|✔ Add to Calendar Add to Google Calendar|
|Cost:||The ride is free - Admission to Detroit Institute of Arts is $8|
Join Detroit Bikes for an extended version of our Motor City Muralism bike tour. Beginning and ending at the Detroit Institute of Arts, participants will explore murals throughout the city of Detroit and be invited to participate in a discussion of the Diego Rivera murals at the DIA.
The course will feature two stops, one at the Lincoln Street Art Park and then an opportunity to tour The Alley Project in Southwest Detroit. We will be sure to include Halima Cassells’ "American Beauty" in Tech Town (on the soon-to-be-torn-down Iron Works building). We’ll also travel through various neighborhoods (Midtown, Woodbridge and MexicanTown) to see works by: Katie Craig, Phillip Lauri, Carl Oxley, Marianne Audrey Burroughs, Deco, Brown Bag, Two Square, Jennifer Quigley, Juan Carlos Hearn, Dasic Fernandez, Hubert Massey, Vito Valdez, and Katie Yamasaki among others.
We’ll stop at the edge of Clark Park for food and a rest stop. Participants can pick up espresso, the best hot chocolate in Detroit and a wide variety of fresh offerings at Café con Leche or hop down the street for brewed coffee, warm pastries or a bag of tamales perfect for sharing at Mexicantown Bakery. We’ll conclude at the Detroit Institute of Arts where participants will be invited to dialogue about the art of the day and Diego Rivera's world-renowned Detroit Industry frescos. (You might have lunch at the Café DIA of a drink in the Kresge Court.)
BIKE RIDE INFORMATION
- What: Motor City Muralism
- Date: May 12, 2012
- Starting Point: Detroit Institute of Arts | John R Group Entrance | Meet at the staircase
- Car Parking: Street parking or public lot across from the DIA John R Entrance ($5.00)
- Starting Time: 10:00AM – Please leave time to park & gather; we’ll leave promptly at 10.
- Approximate Ending Time: 2:00PM
- Length of Ride: 19 miles-ish
- The Route: Detroit Institute of Arts – Midtown – Woodbridge – MexicanTown
- Helmets: REQUIRED
- Cost: The ride is free
- DIA Admission: Admission to DIA: $8.00; free for DIA Members
- Rain/Snow Date: None; please dress for the weather
- Reservations: None required; RSVP email or Facebook RSVP encourage
NEEDS: As always, we can use help in taking care of the following tasks: obtaining waiver sigantures at the start; emergencey bike repairs, primarily fixing flats; tour group integrity, such as sweeps; SAG support, photographing the event.